Department of Civil and Environment Engineering
University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
Phone: (210) 458-7851 (o)
- 11/15/2013: In Spring 2014, Xiaofeng will move to Penn State University. All inquiries including studentship opportunities should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/01/2013: Our new modeling framework will be used to simulate flow at pore-scale for U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers..
- 9/25/2013: Our paper on near-wall treatment of suspended sediment similar to wall functions has been accepted by Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. It deals with the gap between wall and reference height. See Publications.
- 4/15/2013: Our paper on DNS of density current in wall-bounded and open channels will be published in Environmental Fluid Mechanics. See Publications.
- 4/10/2013: Xiaofeng organized a technical clinic "Modeling of Earth Surface Dynamics and Related Problems using OpenFOAM" at the Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System (CSDMS) annual meeting.
- 10/15/2012: Our paper with Technical University of Denmark on porous scour protection around mono-piles will be published in Coastal Engineering. See Publications.
For more news, see the archive.
Quick links to our research
- Numerical models:
- OpenFOAM: Our major research package with multiple applications
- Direct Numerical Simulations: Our research on DNS
- HydroSed2D: Our open source 2D depth-averaged hydrodynamic model with sedimen transport.
- EFDC: Environmental Fluid Dynamics Code, we used it for the Chicago River, IL, and Clinton Lake, IL.
- Experimental work:
- Scour experiment around object under waves and currents
- Density current over rough and uneven bottom
- Field measurement of flow, stage, and water quality
- Oscillation of free surface pipe flows
- Analytical work:
- PH.D. (2008) Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- M.S. (2007) Applied Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- M.S. (2003) Environmental Science, Peking University, Beijing, China
- B.E. (2000) Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- 2010.1 - Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at San Antonio, USA
- 2009 – 2010 Visiting Research Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- 2008 – 2009 Postdoctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- 2003 - 2008 Research Assistant, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Pore-scale modeling of turbulent flows with realistic and physically correct particle arrangement, $138,979, PI, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2013-2015
- CNIC: U.S.-Danish Research Planning Visit to Catalyze Computational and Experimental Research on Scour Protection of Offshore Wind Farms, $19,654, PI, National Science Foundation, 2012-2013
- Assessment of the effects of regional channel stability and sediment transport on roadway hydraulic structures, $248,247, PI, ( co PIs: Hatim Sharif (UTSA), Sazzad Bin Shafique (UTSA), Jean-Louis Briaud (TAMU), Kyle Strom (UH), Keh Han Wang (UH)), sponsored by Texas DOT, 2011-2013
- Flow accounting for the Cibolo Creek, Boerne, Texas, $3,000, PI, sponsored by UTSA, 2011-2012
- Foundation protection of offshore renewable energy infrastructures, $22,000, PI, sponsored by TRAC program of UTSA, 2011-2012
- Empirical flow parameters-A tool for hydraulic model validity assessment, $519,485, co-PI, (PI: Theodore Cleveland, Texas Tech University), sponsored by Texas DOT, 2010-2012
- Synthesis of Hydrologic and Hydraulic Impacts, $50,000, co-PI (PI: Hatim Sharif, University of Texas at San Antonio), sponsored by Texas DOT, 2010-2011
- Two-dimensional modeling of hydrodynamics, sediment transport, bed scour and armoring in St. Clair River, G. Parker (PI), X. Liu (Co-PI), sponsored by International Joint Commission, International Upper Great Lakes Study, 2008, $76,000
- Density Current over Rough and Uneven Bottoms, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, TAMU, USA, 2013
- Simulation of Flow Field Around and Inside Scour Protection with Physical and Realistic Particle Configurations, Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and Danish Hydraulic Institute (DHI), Denmark, 2012
- Generalized Kleiser and Schumann's Influence-Matrix Method for Direct Numerical Simulations of Turbulent Flows, National Microgravity Laboratory, Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, 2012
- How can Angry Birds© save the world?Current research in the environmental fluid dynamics group at UTSA, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Houston, USA, 2012
- DNS Simulations of Density Current using Generalized Kleiser and Schumann's Influence-Matrix Method, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, TAMU, USA, 2011
- Generalized Velocity Boundary Conditions and "tau" Error Corrections for Kleiser and Schumann's Influence-Matrix Method, UTSA, USA, 2010
- Modeling of Sediment Transport and Porous Medium Response under Currents and Waves, UT Austin, USA, 2010
- Numerical Models for Scour around Object under Currents and Waves, Argonne National Lab, Chicago, USA, 2009
- Local Scour and Liquefaction around Objects under Currents and Waves, University of Texas at San Antonio, USA, 2009
- Environmental Multiphase Flow Modeling, Pacific Northwest National Lab, USA, 2009
- Computational Modeling of Environmental Hydraulics, Queen’s University at Belfast, UK, 2009
- Modeling of Sediment Transport and Porous Medium Response Under Current and Waves, Tsinghua University, P.R. China, 2009
- Multiphase flow in environmental hydraulics: sediment transport, settling tanks, water quality and more. University of Illinois at Urbana and Champaign, USA, 2008
- Local Scour and Liquefaction around Objects under Waves, University of Illinois at Urbana and Champaign, USA, 2006