DEADLINE: February 15, 2018
The Sam Madrid, Jr. Endowed Scholarship in the College of Engineering was established in the Fall of 1994. It is named after a native San Antonio engineer with a long record of professional and community achievements. Mr. Madrid graduated from San Antonio Vocational Technical High School. After serving in the U. S. Navy, Mr. Madrid attended Texas A&M University under the G. I. Bill and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. Mr. Madrid started his employment at Kelly AFB as the first Hispanic design engineer ever hired. He advanced into executive-level positions including many years of service as Executive Assistant to the Commander. Simultaneously, he was deeply involved in community work, including service as Chairman of the Bexar County Hospital Board of Managers, President and Board Chairman of the United Way’s Board of Trustees and Charter Board Member of the Economic Opportunity Development Corporation. Mr. Madrid has been a perennial supporter of education and was involved in establishing the Engineering Program at The University of Texas at San Antonio.QUALIFICATIONS:
- Applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Applicant must be a current student at UTSA or incoming freshman for the Fall 2018 Semester. The applicant must have graduated from a San Antonio area high school.
- Applicant must have “B” average in his or her high school work and a “B” average (at least a 3.0 grade point average) in any college work.
- Applicant must have applied for financial aid through The University of Texas at San Antonio Office of Student Financial Aid and must be certified as having a financial need by that office.
- Applicant must have a declared major in one of the following disciplines: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
Recipient Requirements Scholarship recipients must enroll as a full-time student in The University of Texas at San Antonio in the 2018-2019 academic year and must pursue one of the majors listed in the eligibility requirements.
Instruction to Applicants
- Complete the Sam Madrid Jr. Endowed Scholarship Application
- Obtain a letter of recommendation preferably from a teacher.
- Obtain a copy of your college transcripts or, if an incoming freshman, obtain a copy of your high school transcript with verification of your SAT/ACT test scores and rank in your high school class.
- Type a 250-500 word essay responding to one of the questions listed on the attached essay form.