My research interests lie in the areas of smart power grids and other critical infrastructures, such as the Global Positioning System and water distribution systems, with emphasis on optimal resource management and statistical signal processing.
Current research topics are included in the following list:
- Modeling and analysis of electricity distribution networks
- Stochastic optimization for power systems with distributed energy resources
- Buildings-to-grid integration
- Detection and mitigation of spoofing attacks against the Global Positioning System
- Sensor and actuator selection in cyber-physical systems
- Optimal and secure operation of water distribution systems
I received the NSF CAREER award in 2019.
I have co-authored an overview article and co-presented tutorials on monitoring and optimization of power grids. The article has been published in the IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (pdf) and the tutorials have been presented at IEEE ICASSP 2013, IEEE GLOBECOM 2013, and EUSIPCO 2013 (tutorial slides and references cited in the slides).
I received the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering with minor in Mathematics from the University of Minnesota in June 2012. Before that, I received the 5-year Diploma degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Patras, Greece.
My Google Scholar profile can be found here.
- Dec. 14, 2019: Our paper on geometric programming based control of water networks was accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. The paper is available on arXiv.
- Oct. 2019: Our paper on real-time voltage stability enhancement via demand response was presented at the North American Power Symposium (NAPS).
- Sept. 24, 2019: Our paper on kernel-based reactive power control policies was published on IEEEXplore as a pre-print.
- Aug. 14-16, 2019: I will be presenting our work on chance constrained voltage regulation to an invited session in the MOPTA Conference at Lehigh University.
- July 2019: Our paper on robust control of power networks was accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. The paper is available on IEEEXplore and arXiv.
- June 2019: Our paper on GPS spoofing mitigation using linear observer theory was published in the IEEE Control Systems Letters.
- May 2019: I presented our work on optimal power flow with step voltage regulation at an invited session in the IISE Annual Conference and Exposition.
- May 2019: Our paper on optimal power flow with step-voltage regulators was published as a preprint in the IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. The paper is also available on arXiv.
- Apr. 16-18, 2019: We are presenting our work in progress on control of water distribution networks at the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (part of CPS Week).
- Mar. 2019: We submitted a paper on designing reactive power support rules using support vector machines. The paper is available on arXiv.
- Feb. 21, 2019: Our paper on static and adaptive policies for chance constrained voltage regulation was published on IEEEXplore.
- Feb. 11, 2019: I received the NSF CAREER award. The abstract can be found here.
- Jan. 31, 2019: Our paper “Stochastic Planning of Distributed PV Generation” was published in a special issue of Energies for the 10-year anniversary of the journal.
- Jan. 29, 2019: I delivered a lecture on State Estimation in Dr. Baldick’s class on smart grids at UT Austin.
- Nov. 2018: Our work on a fixed-point method for steady-state analysis of water networks was presented at IEEE GlobalSIP. The paper can be found on arXiv and the slides on SigPort.
- Oct. 28-31, 2018: I will be attending the Asilomar Annual Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, where I will be chairing a special session on smart power grids.
- Oct. 2, 2018: Our recently accepted paper titled “Time-Varying Sensor and Actuator Selection for Uncertain Cyber Physical Systems” was published as a preprint in the IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. An extended version is available on arXiv.
- Sept. 21, 2018: Our recently accepted paper titled “Placement and Sizing of Inverter-Based Renewable Systems in Multi-Phase Distribution Networks” was published as a preprint in the IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- Sept. 10, 2018: A paper was accepted for presentation at the 11th Mediterranean Conference on Power Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Energy Conversion (MEDPOWER 2018).
- Aug. 30, 2018: Our paper titled “Optimal Tap Selection of Step-Voltage Regulators in Multi-Phase Distribution Networks” and presented at the Power Systems Computation Conference was published on IEEEXplore.
- August 2018: I was a co-guest editor for the Special Issue on Critical Infrastructures in the IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, which was published in August 2018. The Guest Editorial can be accessed on IEEEXplore.