Areas of Teaching Interest
Feedback Systems, Control Theory, Optimization, Cyber-Physical Systems, Probability and Random Variables, Power Systems Operation.
Areas of Research Interest
Do we have a thorough understanding of how infrastructures operate, behave, and sometimes misbehave? How do humans interact with machines and large-scale systems? Is there a link between our interaction with these systems and how they function?
Can we leverage engineering, coding, and applied mathematics with data knowledge to improve these infrastructures, make them more resilient, and enhance their security?
I am interested in answering the aforementioned research questions. My ultimate objective is to understand how complex systems operate and to utilize this knowledge to create tools, protocols, and control algorithms that would be leveraged to solve system-level challenges, related to our basic infrastructures.
Specifically, my research broadly falls into the general areas of control and optimization of cyber-physical systems, decision-making, and systems & data sciences.
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2015.
- Nugroho, S. A., A. F. Taha, and V. Hoang. Nonlinear Dynamic Systems Parameterization Using Interval-Based Global Optimization: Computing Lipschitz Constants and Beyond. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. In review, first round.
- Wang, S., A. F. Taha, L. Sela, N. Gatsis, and M. Giacomoni. Probabilistic State Estimation in Water Distribution Networks. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. In review, first round.
- Wang, S., A. F. Taha, L. Sela, M. Giacomoni, and N. Gatsis. A New Derivative-Free Linear Approximation for Solving the Network Water Flow Problem with Convergence Guarantees. Water Resources Research. In press.
- Lee, J., A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, and D. Akopian (2020). Tuning-Free, Low Memory Robust Estimator to Mitigate GPS Spoofing Attacks. IEEE Control Systems Letters 4(1), 145–150.
- Nugroho, S. A., A. F. Taha, and C. Claudel (2020). A Control-Theoretic Approach for Scalable and Robust Traffic Density Estimation using Convex Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. In press, A.
- Nugroho, S. A., A. F. Taha, and J. Qi (2020). Robust Dynamic State Estimation of Synchronous Machines with Asymptotic State Estimation Error Performance Guarantees. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. In Press, t.
- Wang, S., A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, and M. Giacomoni (2020). Receding Horizon Control for Drinking Water Networks: The Case for Geometric Programming. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. In Press.
- Bazrafshan, M., N. Gatsis, A. F. Taha, and J. A. Taylor (2019). Coupling Load-Following Control with OPF. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 10(3), 2495–2506, t.
- Nugroho, S. A., A. F. Taha, N. Gatsis, T. H. Summers, and R. Krishnan (2019). Algorithms for joint sensor and control nodes selection in dynamic networks. Automatica 106, 124–133.
- Rishud, P., N. Gatsis, and A. F. Taha (2019). Vulnerability Analysis of Smart Grids to GPS Spoofing. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 10(4), 3535–3548.
- Taha, A. F., M. Bazrafshan, S. Nugroho, N. Gatsis, and J. Qi (2019). Robust Control for Renewable- Integrated Power Networks Considering Input Bound Constraints and Worst-Case Uncertainty Measure. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems 6(3), 1210–1222, t.
- Taha, A. F., N. Gatsis, B. Dong, A. Pipri, and Z. Li (2019). Buildings-to-Grid Integration Framework. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 10(2), 1237–1249, t.
- Taha, A. F., N. Gatsis, T. Summers, and S. Nugroho (2019). Time-Varying Sensor and Actuator Selection for Uncertain Cyber-Physical Systems. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems 6(2), 750–762.
- Wang, S., A. F. Taha, J. Wang, K. Kvaternik, and A. Hahn (2019). Energy Crowdsourcing and Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading in Blockchain-Enabled Smart Grids. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems 49(8), 1612–1623, t.
- Dong, B., Z. Li, A. Taha, and N. Gatsis (2018). Occupancy-based buildings-to-grid integration framework for smart and connected communities. Applied Energy 219, 123–137, t.
- Khalajmehrabadi, A., N. Gatsis, D. Akopian, and A. F. Taha (2018). Real-Time Rejection and Mitigation of Time Synchronization Attacks on the Global Positioning System. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 65(8), 6425–6435.
- Qi, J., A. F. Taha, and J. Wang (2018). Comparing Kalman Filters and Observers for Power System Dynamic State Estimation with Model Uncertainty and Malicious Cyber Attacks. IEEE Access 6, 77155–77168, t.
- Taha, A. F., J. Qi, J. Wang, and J. H. Panchal (2018). Risk Mitigation for Dynamic State Estimation Against Cyber Attacks and Unknown Inputs. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 9(2), 886–899, t.
- Taormina, R., S. Galelli, N. O. Tippenhauer, E. Salomons, A. Ostfeld, D. G. Eliades, M. Aghashahi, R. Sundararajan, M. Pourahmadi, M. K. Banks, et al. (2018). Battle of the attack detection algorithms: Disclosing cyber attacks on water distribution networks. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management 144(8), 04018048.
- Elmahdi, A., A. F. Taha, D. Sun, and J. H. Panchal (2015). Decentralized control framework and stability analysis for networked control systems. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 137(5), 051006.