Chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Louisville
- M.Eng., Chemical Engineering, University of Louisville
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Rice University
- NIH post-doctoral fellow, Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center
- Tissue Engineering
- 2016 Keynote Speaker, TERMIS-Asia Pacific Annual Meeting
- 2015 Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS) Americas Educational Award
- 2015 Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- 2011 Invited talk, TERMIS world congress
- 2010 Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in Research
- Jiang B., Akar B, Waller TM, Larson JC, Appel AA, Brey E.M. Design of a biocomposite
biomaterial system for tissue engineering applications. Acta Biomaterialia. 10(3):1177-86, 2014.
- Vaicik M.K., Kortesmaa J.T., Movérare-Skrtic S., Kortesmaa J., Soininen R., Bergström G., Ohlsson C., Chong L.Y., Rozell B., Emont M., Cohen R.N., *Brey E.M., *Tryggvason K. * Equal contribution as senior author. laminin α4 deficient mice exhibit decreased capacity for adipose tissue expansion and weight gain. PLoS One. 9(10):e109854, 2014.
- Appel A.A., Larson J.C., Garson III A.B., Guan H, Zhong Z., Nguyen B.N., Fisher J.P. Anastasio M.A., Brey E.M. X-ray phase contrast imaging of calcified tissue and biomaterial structure in bioreactor engineered tissues. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 112(3):612, 2015.
- Wang M.O., Vorwald C.E., Dreher M.L., Mott E.J., Cheng M.H., Cinar A., Mehdizadeh H., Somo S., Dean S., Brey E.M., Fisher J.P. Evaluating 3D Printed Biomaterials as Scaffolds for Vascularized Bone Tissue Engineering. Advanced Materials. 27(1):138, 2015.
- Somo S., Akar B., Bayrak E.S., Larson J.C., Appel A.A., Mehdizadeh H., Cinar A., Brey E.M. Vascularized Tissue Formation in Biomaterials is Controlled by Pore Interconnectivity. Tissue Engineering Part A. Accepted.
- Roux B.M., Cheng M.H., Brey E.M. Engineering Clinically-Relevant Volumes of
Vascularized Bone. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 19(5):903, 2015.
- Vaicik M.K., Morse M., Blagajcevic A., Rios J., Larson J., Yang F., Cohen R.N., Papavasiliou G., Brey E.M. Hydrogel-Based Engineering of Beige Adipose Tissue. Journal of Materials Chemistry B: Materials for biology and medicine. Accepted.