- BSE 2.106
C. Mauli Agrawal, Ph.D., P.E.
Peter Flawn Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Areas of Teaching Interest:
- Orthopedic and cardivascular biomaterials
- Drug Delivery
- Tissue engineering
- Biodegradable materials
Description of Research:
Agrawal specializes in the area of orthopedic and cardiovascular biomaterials. His work in these fields has resulted in several patents, many of which have been licensed to commercial entities. His lab is currently investigating tissue engineering approaches to treat aortic aneurysms, developing new technologies for drug eluting stents, exploring some revolutionary techniques for preventing blood loss related to battlefield injuries, and developing stent based micron-thin implantable blood pressure sensors.
Honors & Awards:
During his professional career, Dr. Agrawal has been the recipient of several honors and awards, and has authored more than 300 scientific publications and 18 patents. He was inducted as a Fellow of Biomaterials Science and Engineering (FBSE) by the International Union of Societies for Biomaterials Science and Engineering (IUSBSE) in 2008. He is also a Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering and was elected the 2006 President of the Society for Biomaterials (SFB) – a worldwide organization. In 2013 he was awarded the Service Award by SFB.
Many of Dr. Agrawal’s patents have been licensed to commercial entities. His bioengineering research group has been responsible for the launching of three companies in San Antonio. In 2007, he was awarded the Chancellor’s Entrepreneurship and Innovation Award from the University of Texas System, and the Healthcare Hero Award for biomedical research by the San Antonio Business Journal. He is the 2010 recipient of the Julio Palmaz award for Innovation in Healthcare. He was appointed by Governor Rick Perry to serve (2008-2011) on the Advisory Board for the Texas Emerging Technology Fund (ETF). The $200 million ETF invests in start-up technology companies.
- "Engineering Biomaterials for Medical Applications" Vol 1. Eds. T.S. Hin, c.M. Agrawal, 2004
- "Synthetic Bone Graft Substitutes" Ed. Cato Laurencin; section editor: C.M.Agrawal, ASTM STP ISBN 0-8031-3356-1, 2003.
- Synthetic Bioabsorbable Polymers for Implants" Eds. C.M. Agrawal, J. Parr, S. Lin, ASTM STP 1396. ISBN 0-8031-2870-3, 2000.
- Proceedings, 17th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference", Eds. C.M. Agrawal, K.A. Athanasiou, pub. Southern Biomedical Engineering Conf., Minneapolis, 1998, ISBN 0-7803-4512-6
- X. Wang, K.A. Athanasiou and C.M. Agrawal: 'Fracture Toughness Tests of Bone-Implant Interfaces', Mechanical Testing of Bone and the Bone-Implant Interface, eds. Y. A. An and R. A. Draughn, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1999.
- C.M. Agrawal, J. Mabrey, and D.M. Micallef: 'The Wear of Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene', in the Encyclopedic Handbook of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, ed. D.Wise et al., Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
- K.A. Athanasiou, G. Niederauer, and C.M. Agrawal: 'Applications of Biodegradable Lactides and Glycolides in Podiatry', Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, ed. A.S. Landsman, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, p 475-496, 1995.
- C.M. Agrawal, K.A. Athanasiou, G. Niederauer, and D.M. Micallef: 'The Use of PLA/PGA in Orthopaedic Implants', in the Encyclopedic Handbook of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, ed. D. Wise et al., Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
- Beili Zhu, Steve Bailey, C. Mauli Agrawal, Calcification of Primary Human Osteoblast Cultures under Flow Conditions using Polycaprolactone Scaffolds for Intravascular Applications, Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Oct: 6(9):687-695, 2012
- Amita Shah, Sarita Shah, Sunho Oh, Joo Ong, Joseph Wenke, C.M. Agrawal, Migration of co-cultured endothelial cells and osteoblasts in composite hydroxyapatite/polylactic acid scaffolds, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Volume: 39 Issue: 10 Pages: 2501-2509., 2011
- Tim Brown, Qi-Bin Bao, C. Mauli Agrawal, Nadim James Hallab, “An In Vitro Assessment of Wear Particulate Generated from NUBAC, A PEEK on PEEK Articulating Nucleus Replacement Device. Methodology and Results from a Series of Wear Tests Using Different Motion Profiles, Test Frequencies and Environmental Conditions”, Spine, 36(26), 1675-1685, 2011.
- Kaufmann C, Mani G, Marton D, Johnson DM, Agrawal CM. "Long-Term Stability of Self-Assembled Monolayers on Electropolished L605 Cobalt Chromium Alloy for Stent Applications". J. Biomedical Materials Research -B, v 98B (2), 280–289, 2011.
- Beili Zhu, Steve Bailey, C. Mauli Agrawal, "Development of a Total Atherosclerotic Occlusion with Cell-Mediated Calcium Deposits in a Rabbit Femoral Artery using Tissue Engineering Scaffolds", Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 6(3), 193-204, 2012.
- R. Vasita, Gopinath Mani, C. Mauli Agrawal, Dhirendra S Katti, “Surface hydrophilization of electrospun PLGA micro-/nano-fibers by blending with Pluronic® F-108”, Polymer, Volume: 51, Issue: 16, 3706-3714, 2010.
- Zhu B, Bailey SR, Agrawal CM. Manuscript "Engineering Calcium Deposits on Polycaprolactone Scaffolds for Intravascular Applications using Human Primary Osteoblasts" Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 5 (4), 324-336, 2011
- Shah, A., Shah, S., Mani, G., Wenke, J., Agrawal CM., “Endothelial Cell Behavior on Gas Plasma Treated PLA Surfaces: the Roles of Surface Chemistry and Roughness”, J. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 5(4) 301-312, 2011.
- Mani G, Macias CE, Feldman MD, Marton D, Oh S, Agrawal CM. "Delivery of Paclitaxel from Cobalt-Chromium Alloy Surfaces Without Polymeric Carriers", Biomaterials, 31: 5372-5384, 2010.
- Kaufmann C, Mani G, Marton D, Johnson DM, Agrawal CM. "Long-Term Stability of Self-Assembled Monolayers on 316L Stainless Steel". Biomedical Materials, Volume: 5 Issue: 2, 2010.
- Torres N, Oh S, Appleford M, Dean DD, Jorgensen JH, Ong JL, Agrawal CM, Mani G. "Effect of Sterilization Methods on the Stability of Anti-bacterial Self-Assembled Monolayers on Hydroxyapatite". Acta Biomaterialia, 6(8), 3242-3255, 2010.
- Mani G, Feldman MD, Patel D, Agrawal CM. Coronary stents: a materials perspective. Biomaterials. 2007 Mar;28(9):1689-710.
- Lavery LA, Higgins KR, Lanctot DR, Constantinides GP, Zamorano RG, Athanasiou KA, Armstrong DG, Agrawal CM. Preventing diabetic foot ulcer recurrence in high-risk patients: use of temperature monitoring as a self-assessment tool. Diabetes Care. 2007 Jan;30(1):14-20.
- Mahapatro A, Johnson DM, Patel DN, Feldman MD, Ayon AA, Agrawal CM. The use of alkanethiol self-assembled monolayers on 316L stainless steel for coronary artery stent nanomedicine applications: an oxidative and in vitro stability study. Nanomedicine. 2006 Sep;2(3):182-90.
- John G. Fleischli, Terese J. Laughlin, Kyriacos Athanasiou, Dan R. Lanctot, Lawrence Lavery, Xiaodu Wang, C. Mauli Agrawal, "The Effect Of Diabetes Mellitus On The Material Properties Of The Distal Tibia", J. Am. Podiatric Medical Association 96(2), 2006.
- Anil Mahapatro, David M. Johnson, Devang N. Patel, Marc D. Feldman, Arturo A. Ayon, and C. Mauli Agrawal; "Surface Modification of Functional Self Assembled Monolayers (SAMs) on 316L Stainless Steel via Lipase Catalysis", Langmuir, accepted 2006.
- McMullin, B; Agrawal, C.M. et al., Correlating Subjective and Objective Descriptors of Ultra High Molecular Weight Wear Particles From Total Joint Prostheses, Biomaterials, 27(5), 752-757, 2005.
- Lavery, L.A.; Lanctot, D.R.; Constantinides, G.; Zamorano, R.G.; Athanasiou, K.A.; Agrawal, C.M.: Wear and biomechanical characteristics of a novel shear reducing insole with implications for high-risk persons with diabetes. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, 7(4), 638-646, 2005.
- Chance, J.R.; Kragh, J.F., Jr.; Agrawal, C.M., Basamania, C.J.: Pullout Forces of Sutures in Muscle Lacerations. Orthopaedics, 28(10): 1187-90, 2005.
- Karande, T.S., Ong, J.L., Agrawal, C.M.: Diffusion in musculoskeletal tissue engineering scaffolds: design issues related to porosity, permeability, architecture, and nutrient mixing. Ann Biomed Eng, 32(12): 1728-43, 2004.
- Sweigart, M.A.; Zhu, C.F.; Burt, D.M.; DeHoll, P.D.; Agrawal, C.M.; Clanton, T.O.; Athanasiou, K.A.: Intraspecies and interspecies comparison of the compressive properties of the medial meniscus. Ann Biomed Eng, 32(11): 1569-79, 2004.
- Lavery, L.A.; Higgins, K.R.; Lanctot, D.R.; Constantinides, G.P.; Zamorano, R.G.; Armstrong, D.G.; Athanasiou, K.A.; Agrawal, C.M.: Home monitoring of foot skin temperatures to prevent ulceration. Diabetes Care, 27(11): 2642-47, 2004.
- Paruchuru, S.P.; Wang, X.; Agrawal, C.M.: Use of compact sandwich specimen to determine the critical strain energy release rate of bone. Journal of Biomedical Materials and Engineering. Accepted.
- Kim, K-H.; Agrawal, C.M.; Ong, J.L: Interaction of hydroxyapatite- titanium at elevated temperature in vacuum environment. Biomaterials. 25(15): 2927-32, 2004.