- E-mail: email@example.com
Prahlad G Menon, Ph.D.
Department of Biomedical Engineering
- B.Tech, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- Postdoctoral, University of Pittsburgh Department of Biomedical Informatics
Areas of Research Interest:
- Medical and Biological Image Analysis
- Computational Anatomy, Cardiovascular Morphology and Function Analysis
- Computational Simulation of Vascular Flows
- Pre-surgical Planning of Cardiovascular Interventions
- Real-time Image-guided Interventional Guidance
- Medical Device Design – Blood Pumps and Blood Handling Devices
My research lies at the confluence of high performance computing, radiology, surgical practice and informatics and is focused on image analysis of 4D (3D + time) radiological image data as it relates primarily to cardiovascular disease and surgical interventions. My research group is called The MeDCaVE (www.justcallharry.com) and is dedicated to healthcare advanced using robust algorithmic analysis of biological and medical image data as well as physics-based numerical modeling / simulation of mechanics and flow which is invaluable for early technical feasibility assessment studies for medical device technologies applied to improving the healthcare practice today. The research of The MeDCaVE has seen application in the development of quantitative metrics to support time-critical decisions necessary to intervene in patients with complex pathologies and has extended application to optimization of surgical strategies as well as medical device innovations to improve outcomes and quality of life after complex surgical procedures.
I am a professional member American Heart Association (AHA) council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention an associate member of the Society for Thoracic Surgeons (STS), and a member of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR), American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES).
- Adhyapak SM, Menon PG, Parachuri VR, Shetty DP, Fantini F. Characterization of dysfunctional remote myocardium in left ventricular anterior aneurysms and improvements following surgical ventricular restoration using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging: preliminary results. Interactive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. 2014.
- Adhyapak SM, Menon PG, Parachuri VR, Gadabanahalli K, Bhat VR, Shetty V, Shetty D. Restoration of optimal left ventricular apical geometry and rotation following surgical ventricular restoration using rectangular patch plasty technique: a pilot study using cardiac magnetic resonance. Interactive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. 2014.
- Friehling M, Menon PG, Ludwig DR, Schwartzman D. Single-photon emission computed tomographic-multidetector computed tomographic fusion image integration: a potential aid to left ventricular substrate ablation. Europace : European pacing, arrhythmias, and cardiac electrophysiology : journal of the working groups on cardiac pacing, arrhythmias, and cardiac cellular electrophysiology of the European Society of Cardiology. 2014.
- Kowalski WJ, Teslovich NC, Menon PG, Tinney JP, Keller BB, Pekkan K. Left atrial ligation alters intracardiac flow patterns and the biomechanical landscape in the chick embryo. Developmental dynamics : an official publication of the American Association of Anatomists. 2014; 243(5):652-62.
- Adhyapak SM, Menon PG, Parachuri VR. Optimization of surgical ventricular restoration by in-silico simulations. Asian cardiovascular & thoracic annals. 2014.
- Chen CY, Antón R, Hung MY, Menon P, Finol EA, Pekkan K. Effects of intraluminal thrombus on patient-specific abdominal aortic aneurysm hemodynamics via stereoscopic particle image velocity and computational fluid dynamics modeling. Journal of biomechanical engineering. 2014; 136(3):031001.
- Adhyapak SM, Menon PG, Rao Parachuri V. Restoration of optimal ellipsoid left ventricular geometry: lessons learnt from in silico surgical modelling. Interactive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. 2014; 18(2):153-8.
- Albal PG, Montidoro TA, Dur O, Menon PG. Patient-Specific Hemodynamic Evaluation of an Aortic Coarctation under Rest and Stress Conditions. Statistical Atlases and Computational Models of the Heart. Imaging and Modelling Challenges (pp. 83-93). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.. 2014; 8330:83-93.
- Menon PG, Morris L, Staines M, Lima J, Lee DC, Gopalakrishnan V. Novel MRI-derived quantitative biomarker for cardiac function applied to classifying ischemic cardiomyopathy within a Bayesian rule learning framework. Proceedings of SPIE. 2014.
- Menon PG, Mehra A, Doyle M, Biederman RW, Finol E. Rapid 4D regional wall motion characterization of abdominal aortic aneurysms with intra-luminal thrombus using cine cardiac MRI. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2014;
- Menon PG, Antaki JF, Undar A, Pekkan K. Aortic outflow cannula tip design and orientation impacts cerebral perfusion during pediatric cardiopulmonary bypass procedures. Annals of biomedical engineering. 2013; 41(12):2588-602.
- Hong H, Menon PG, Zhang H, Ye L, Zhu Z, Chen H, Liu J. Postsurgical comparison of pulsatile hemodynamics in five unique total cavopulmonary connections: identifying ideal connection strategies. The Annals of thoracic surgery. 2013; 96(4):1398-404.
- Yoshida M, Menon PG, Chrysostomou C, Pekkan K, Wearden PD, Oshima Y, Okita Y, Morell VO. Total cavopulmonary connection in patients with apicocaval juxtaposition: optimal conduit route using preoperative angiogram and flow simulation. European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery : official journal of the European Association for Cardio-thoracic Surgery. 2013; 44(1):e46-52.
- Menon PG, Teslovich N, Chen CY, Undar A, Pekkan K. Characterization of neonatal aortic cannula jet flow regimes for improved cardiopulmonary bypass. Journal of biomechanics. 2013; 46(2):362-72.
- Menon PG, Pekkan K, Madan S. Quantitative hemodynamic evaluation in children with coarctation of aorta: phase contrast cardiovascular MRI versus computational fluid dynamics. Statistical Atlases and Computational Models of the Heart. Imaging and Modelling Challenges. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.. 2013; 7746:9-16.
- Albal PG, Menon PG. MRI & CT image-fusion based aorta & coronary artery model for in-silico feasibility evaluation of perfusion with an ascending aortic pump, using computational fluid dynamics. Journal of medical devices. 2013.
- Menon PG, Biederman RW. Automated 3D morphometric difference biomarker for abnormal ventricular morphology. Journal of cardiovascular magnetic resonance : official journal of the Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2013.
- Albal PG, Menon PG, Kowalski W, Undar A, Turkoz R, Pekkan K. Novel fenestration designs for controlled venous flow shunting in failing Fontans with systemic venous hypertension. Artificial organs. 2013; 37(1):66-75.