Dr. Papagiannakis is a Civil Engineering professor at the University of Texas at San Antonio. He has over 30 years of pavement engineering experience specializing in pavement design, traffic loading and asphalt concrete characterization. He has contributed over 150 research publications in this area. He has served as the principal investigator in a dozen national studies (NCHRP, FHWA, ASCE, USDOT) as well as State DOT studies (Washington and Texas). In addition, Dr. Papagiannakis is the author of a Wiley and Sons published textbook on Pavement Design and Materials. He is the founder and past chair of the Pavements Committee of the Geo-Institute. He is an Associate Editor for ASCE’s Transportation Journal, Part B: Pavements. He holds a PhD degree from the U. of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. He is a Fellow of the ASCE and a registered Professional Engineer in Texas (#97693) and Ontario (#35353507).
The Infrastructure Materials Laboratory was established in 2006. It is equipped to handle asphalt cement and asphalt concrete characterization according to the Superpave protocol. Major testing equipment include:
- Bending Beam Rheometer
- Dynamic Shear Rheometer
- Brookfield Viscoemeter
- Superpave Gyratory Compactor
- Asphalt Pavement Analyzer
- Rolling Thin Film Oven
- Pressure Aging Vessel
- Ignition Oven
- Universal Testing Machine
- Specific Gravity
Director: Tom Papagiannakis, PhD PE F.ASCE firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pavement Analysis
- Pavement-Vehicle Interaction
- Asphalt Material Characterization
- Pavement Sustainability (Energy Harvesting, UHI Effects)
Recent Research Projects (Last 3 Years):
- A Hybrid Integrated Sensing and Energy Conversion System For Harvesting Mechanical and Thermal Energy from Roadways, Dessouky/Montoya/ Papagiannakis/Sharif/Guo/Bhalla, CPS Energy, $278k, (9/2017-8/2018)
- Development of a self-powered structural health monitoring system for transportation infrastructure, Dessouky/Karsilayan (TAMU)/Papagiannakis, US DOT Tran-SET Regional UTC led by LSU, $69k, (5/17-10/18).
- Evaluation of Comparative Damaging Effects of Multiple Truck Axles for Flexible Pavements, Romanoschi (UT Arlington)/Papagiannakis, US DOT Tran-SET Regional UTC led by LSU $120k (5/17-10/18).
- Development of Highway Sensing and Energy Conversion (HISEC) Modules for Generating Power, Dessouky/Papagiannakis/Helfrich (SwRI)/Walubita (TTI), TxDOT 0-6871, $1,320k (3/15-08/16).
- Noise Evaluation of Next-Gen PC Pavements , Weissmann/Papagiannakis, TxDOT 5-9046-03, $80k (8/14-7/16).
- Practices for Permitting Superheavy Load Movements on Highway Pavements, Papagiannakis, NCHRP Synthesis 45-14, $48k (11/13-3/15).
- Pavement Design Improvements; Pavement Fog Sealing, Dessouky/Papagiannakis/ Huang, City of San Antonio, $50k (4/13-04/14).
A number of national newspaper articles were published on the asphalt modeling research carried out by Dr. Papagiannakis and Dr. Masad while they worked at Washington State University:
- Seattle Times 4/18/2000
- Wall Street Journal 4/24/2000
- Chicago Tribune 6/11/2000
- Toronto Star 7/2/2000
- NBC Nightly News 4/24/2000
- Lossa and A.T. Papagiannakis, Editors, (April 2014) Sustainability, Eco-efficiency and Conservation in Transportation Infrastructure Asset Management; CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, ISBN 9781138001473, 800 pages.
- A.T. Papagiannakis and E.A. Masad, Pavement Design and Materials, Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken NJ 552 pages, print ISBN: 9780471214618 (January 2008), on-line ISBN: 9780470259924 (June 2012) http://dx.DOI.org/10.1002/9780470259924
- E. Tutumluer and A.T. Papagiannakis Editors (1999) Recent Advances in the Characterization of Pavement Geo-Materials,. ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication GSP No. 89, ISBN: 978-0-7844-0437-9, Reston VA.
- A.T. Papagiannakis and C. Schwartz Editors (1998), Application of Geotechnical Principles in Pavement Engineering,. ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication GSP No. 85, ISBN 0-7844-0392-9, Reston VA.
Recent Journal Publications (last 4 years)
- Dessouky, S., A.T. Papagiannakis, H. Roshani and A. Abbas, (2017) Placement of Level-Up Patches to Improve Pavement Ride and Texture In Texas: Current Practices and Field Performance. ASCE Transport Part B: Pavements, (in-press) Vol. No. pending.
- Papagiannakis, A.T., H. Zelelew and E. Mahmoud, (2017) Simulation of Asphalt Concrete Plastic Deformation Behavior, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, (in press) Vol. No. pending.
- Roshani, H., P. Jagtap, S. Dessouky, A. Montoya and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2017) Theoretical and Experimental Evaluation of Two Roadway Piezoelectric-Based Energy Harvesting Prototypes, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, June, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002112.
- Papagiannakis, A.T., A. Montoya, S. Dessouky and J. Helffrich, (2017) Development and Evaluation of Piezoelectric Prototypes for Roadway Energy Harvesting, ASCE Journal of Energy Engineering, (in press) Vol. No. pending,
- Datta, U., S. Dessouky and A.T. Papagiannakis (2017), Harvesting of Thermoelectric Energy from Asphalt Pavements, TRB Paper 17-05481, Journal of the Transportation Research Board Record No. 2628, http://dx.doi.org/3141/2628-02
- Roshani, H., S. Dessouky, A. Montoya and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2016) Energy Harvesting from Asphalt Pavement Roadways Vehicle-Induced Stresses: A Feasibility Study Applied Energy, Journal of Applied Energy, Elsevier Vol. 182, p. 210-218, Nov. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.08.116
- Bin-Shafique, S., J. Huang, M. Ahmed, S. Razaeimalek and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2016) Tie-Back Retaining Wall in High Plasticity Expansive Soil, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, D4016006, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000955
- Dessouky, A.T. Papagiannakis and A. Abbas, (2016) A Practical Tool for Prioritizing Rehabilitation and Preventive Maintenance in Pavements, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Record No. 2550, pp. 63-71, Washington DC. http://dx.doi.org/10.3141/2550-09
- Huang, J. V. Le, S. Bin-Shafique and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2015) Experimental and Numerical Study of Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil over a Channel, Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Elsevier, 0266-1144, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2015.04.011 (2015).
- Le, Vinh, J. Huang, S. Bin-Shafique and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2014) Model Tests of Subsidence of the Reinforced Soil over a Void, Geotechnical Special Publication (GSP) No. 238, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014
- Abbas, Ala, A. Frankhouser, and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2014) Effect of Traffic Load Input Level on MEPDG Flexible Pavement Performance Predictions, Transportation Research Record 2443 pp. 63-77.
- Park, Dae-Wook, A.T. Papagiannakis and I. T. Kim, (2014) Analysis of Dynamic Vehicle Loads using Vehicle Pavement Interaction Model, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 18(7): 2085-2092, Springer, DOI: 10.1007/s12205-014-0602-3.
- A.T. Papagiannakis, S. Shafique and R. Lytton, (2013), Retaining Structures in Expansive Clays (2013), Geotechnical and Geological Engineering Journal, Springer, Berlin and Heidelberg, (invited paper) Vol. 31, No. 5 October, http://doi:10.1007/s10706-013-9700-0.
- H.M. Zelelew , A.T. Papagiannakis, E. De Leon Izeppi, (2013) Pavement Macro-texture Analysis Using Wavelets, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Taylor and Francis, Vol. 14, No. 8, 725–735, http://doi:10.1080/10298436.2012.705004.
- Abbas, A, A. Frankhouser and A.T. Papagiannakis, (2013) A Comparison Between Alternative Methods for Estimating the Vehicle Class Distribution Input to Pavement Design, ASCE J. Transp. Eng. 140(4), 04014004, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000644.
- Zelelew, H., A. Almuntashri, A.T. Papagiannakis and S. Agaian, (2013) An Improved Image Processing Technique for Asphalt Concrete X-ray CT Images, Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, Taylor and Francis, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2013.794370.
- Papagiannakis, A.T., (2013) Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design; A Brief Overview, Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS & AGSSEA 44 No.1 March 2013 ISSN 0046-5828 (invited paper).
- Dessouky, S., D. Contreras, J. Sanchez, A.T. Papagiannakis and A. Abbas, (2013), Influence of Hindered Phenol Additives on the Rheology of Aged Polymer-Modified Bitumen, Journal of Construction and Building Materials, Elsevier, Volume 38, January, P.214–223, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.089